Type
Subject
Showing 1 - 10 of 1269 Results
  • Dedication of the First Synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Societ

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64386

    Summary: Dedication of the first synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS), in 1907. There is a large crowd gathered around the synagogue, which was a tent erected with the help of donor Bath-Seva Fleishman. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

  • Exterior of National Jewish Hospital at Denver

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64387

    Summary: One of the buildings on the National Jewish Hospital at Denver's campus. The inscription on the architrave of the building reads, ''Joseph E. Shoenberg Memorial.''

  • First Synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64385

    Summary: Exterior view of the first synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). This tent, donated by Mrs. Bath-Sheba Fleishman of Omaha, Neb., was erected in 1906. Signage on the roof and next to the door is in Hebrew. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

  • Aerial View of National Jewish Hospital

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64395

    Summary: Aerial view of National Jewish Hospital's campus in Denver, Colorado at Colorado and Colfax. The campus covers 15 acres and includes a rehabilitation center, research center, pediatric building and others. The hospital was founded in 1899 with the motto, ''None may enter who can pay...none can pay who enter.''

  • B'nai B'rith Building at National Jewish Hospital

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64401

    Summary: Exterior of the B'nai B'rith building on the campus of National Jewish Hospital. This building was located at 3800 East Colfax Avenue in Denver, Colorado. Initially it was an infirmary for adults but later became the Department of Pediatrics. A gymnasium, two classrooms, recreation and rehabilitation facilities were later added.

  • Chest Research Laboratories at National Jewish Hospital

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64400

    Summary: Exterior of the Chest Research Laboratories on the campus of National Jewish Hospital in Denver, Colorado.

  • Classroom at National Jewish Hospital

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64402

    Summary: A group of children in one of the classrooms at National Jewish Hospital in Denver, Colorado. Teachers were provided by the Denver Public School System and young patients were able to complete all grade and high school requirements while admitted to the hospital.

  • Dr. Allan Hurst in a Group of Unidentified Physicians

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64404

    Summary: Dr. Allan Hurst (center) standing in a crowd of unidentified physicians. They are standing in front of the B'nai B'rith Building on the campus of National Jewish Hospital. Dr. Hurst was medical director of the hospital from 1945 to 1951. He also served in a consulting capacity as medical director of the National Home for Jewish Children and the Ex-Patients Tubercular Home. Photo is printed reversed.

  • Heart Surgery at National Jewish Hospital

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64394

    Summary: A heart surgery in progress at National Jewish Hospital. The cardiac surgery program was started in 1948 and discontinued in June of 1968. This program was one of the first in the West to perform the heart valve operation, mitral commissurotomy in the late 1940s. Even though the program had produced pioneering work in open-heart and lung surgery, it became too expensive to maintain and was no longer considered unique.

  • Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society's Merry Makers

    URL: http://hdl.handle.net/10176/codu:64408

    Summary: Patients perform in the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society's (JCRS) Merry Makers production of 'Whoopie.' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.