Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Hebrew Educational Alliance (Denver, Colo.)

 Organization

Sources

found: NUCMC data from Judah L. Magnes Museum for Celia Ragooland scrapbook, 1928-1932 (Denver Hebrew Educational Alliance; collection contains a scrapbook with a poster about the dedication of the Denver Hebrew Educational Alliance)
found: Hebrew Educational Alliance WWW, Jan. 24, 2007 (on June 17, 1920, the Denver Hebrew Institute [no publs. in LC database] was incorp. with the mission to provide a Jewish education for the growing numbers of Jewish youth living in the are of West Colfax. In the fall of 1926, through the efforts of Mrs. N.H. Chernyk and Mrs. S. Friedman, the Beth David Sisterhood [no publs. in LC database] was founded; by 1928, the Sisterhood had succeeded in interesting a number of local men in their efforts to create new facilities for Jewish education and the Beth David Brotherhood [no publs. in LC database] was formed; in Nov. 1928, the Beth David group and the Denver Hebrew Institute, wanting to work together to encourage Jewish education, formed an alliance; the newly created Hebrew Educational Alliance, with William Yoelin serving as it first president, acquired a gift of ten lots; on Oct. 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance; congregation grew and flourished; third synagogue planned and completed; variants: Congregation Hebrew Educational Alliance; HEA)

Found in 27 Collections and/or Records:

Beth David Sisterhood Articles of Incorporation

 Collection
Identifier: B280
Overview In 1926, Beth David Sisterhood was founded in an effort to create a new Hebrew school and Jewish social center for the West Colfax area of Denver, Colorado. The Beth David Hebrew School and Center met at the home of the Reverend and Mrs. Jacob Gordon at 1490 Julian Street. In November 1928, Beth David Sisterhood formed an alliance with Beth David Brotherhood and the Denver Hebrew Institute, and this group became known as the Hebrew Educational Alliance in 1929. The collection consists of the...

Box 1, 1953-1976

 File — Box: B159.02.0001
Identifier: B159.02.0001
Overview Publications: 30th and 40th anniversary brochures and 1972 dedication brochures. Cookbook "Cookarama: Traditional Jewish and Other Gourmet Recipes" presented by the Alliance Sisterhood.

Box 1, 1940

 File — Box: B159.02.0001
Identifier: B159.03.0001
Overview Five Honor pins that belonged to Frieda Blumberg Ornstein.

Box 1, 1989

 File — Box: B222.01.0001
Identifier: B222.03.0001
Overview One folder with obituaries and memorials for Rabbi Manuel Laderman.

Box 2, 1988

 File — Box: B159.01.0002
Identifier: B159.01.0002
Overview One folder with correspondence and newsclippings regarding 1988 vandalism.

Box 2, 1942-2007

 File — Box: B159.01.0002
Identifier: B159.02.0002
Overview Nineteen folders of anniversary and dinner publications and one folder with Book 14 x 10 centimeters, 64 pages: "Grace and blessings for Various Occasions, Congregation Hebrew Educational Alliance, Denver, Colorado, 1954." Has list of officers of Alliance Men's Club.

Box 2, 1945-1952

 File — Box: B159.01.0002
Identifier: B159.04.0002
Overview One file folder of Sunday school and background material.

Collection on Rabbi Manuel Laderman

 Collection
Identifier: B222
Overview Rabbi Manuel Laderman was the first full-time spiritual leader at the Hebrew Educational Alliance, serving as Rabbi for 42 years and then as Rabbi Emeritus until his death in 1989. He was also the head of the City of Denver’s department of health and hospitals. Collection contains materials related to Rabbi Manuel Laderman including Ordinance No. 435 to name the new East wing of Denver General after Rabbi Laderman, dedication materials, news clippings, tributes, and posthumous memorials related...

Exterior of Hebrew Education Alliance, circa 1978

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0014.00004
Overview The Hebrew Educational Alliance's original building at West Colfax and Meade Street. It was founded in 1932 and became the largest congregation on Denver's west side. The Hebrew Educational Alliance was created as a result of the ''alliance'' between the Beth David Hebrew School Sisterhood and Brotherhood, and the Denver Hebrew Institute. On October 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived in Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. The combined synagogue and Hebrew...

Growing up in Early Colorado: The Lives of Jewish Children, 1860-1940, 2012

 Item
Identifier: B230.03.0023.00010
Overview Brief biographies of Jewish men and women who grew up in Jewish communities in Colorado. Contains historical photographs and interviews with people describing their childhoods.