Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.). New York Ladies' Auxiliary

 Organization

First unit of what became the JCRS' National Volunteer Organization.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Group in Front of the New York Ladies Pavilion at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1910-1919

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0007.00001
Overview A group of people stand in front of the New York Pavilion at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak is pictured in the front row, eighth from the right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanitorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: 1910-1919

Laying Cornerstone of the New York Ladies Auxiliary Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1908

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0010.00001
Overview A group of people attend a ceremony for the laying of a cornerstone at the New York Ladies Auxiliary building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) on April 19, 1908. The building was a round, red brick building that housed the less contagious tuberculosis (TB) patients. Rabbi C. E. Kauvar, in a top hat, stands on one side of the cornerstone and Abraham Judelovitz, in coveralls, stands on the other side of the cornerstone. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz with no hat, stands to Rabbi Kauvar's...
Dates: 1908

Ray Shapiro Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: B286
Overview

Mrs. Aaron (Ray) Shapiro was born and raised in New York City and became involved in the fund raising activity for the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society as a member of the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. The collection consists of an 1899 photograph of Ray Shapiro and a photograph of a plaque for a building on the JCRS campus erected with funds collected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary.

Dates: 1899-1910