National Council of Jewish Women. Denver Section
The National Council of Jewish Women, Denver Section (NCJW) was a women's philanthropic organization founded by Carrie Benjamin in October 1893 to serve the Denver, Colorado Jewish community. Most of the early members were members of Temple Emanuel in Denver and were dedicated to social causes. Education was an early priority of the Denver Section and classes were held to serve Eastern European Jewish immigrants in the West Colfax area of Denver. The Council established a settlement house in West Denver for Jewish boys, worked with disabled children and initiated the Children's Traveling Theatre. During World War II, the Council was involved in the resettlement of Jewish refugees in Denver.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Abstract Copy of a photograph of the National Council of Jewish Women in Colorado Springs in 1935. The women are numbered and identified on the back as 1. Mrs. Berman, 2. Mrs. Lorig, 3. Mrs. Mik Myers, 4. Rose Slosky Mendel (Nathan), 5. Betty Slosky (Peter), 6. Mrs. Slosky, 7. Helen Slosky (Izzie), 8. Mrs. Kline, 9. Frances Mary Lorden (Abe), 10. Mrs. Amsel, 11. Rueler, 12. Charlotte Macke, 13. Mildred Supperstein Tennenbaum (Louis) pregnant with Bev T. Olesky, 14. Mildred Reibsheil (Lory), 15. Carolyn...