Skip to main content

National Council of Jewish Women. Denver Section

 Organization

The National Council of Jewish Women, Denver Section (NCJW) was a women's philanthropic organization founded by Carrie Benjamin in October 1893 to serve the Denver, Colorado Jewish community. Most of the early members were members of Temple Emanuel in Denver and were dedicated to social causes. Education was an early priority of the Denver Section and classes were held to serve Eastern European Jewish immigrants in the West Colfax area of Denver. The Council established a settlement house in West Denver for Jewish boys, worked with disabled children and initiated the Children's Traveling Theatre. During World War II, the Council was involved in the resettlement of Jewish refugees in Denver.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Luncheon Party of Council of Jewish Women, 1914 January 29

 Item
Identifier: B063.04.0020.00019
Abstract Collage of photographs of women from a luncheon of the Council of Jewish Women. Top left to right Rita Silversmith, Jessie Lewin, and Amy Mayer; middle row left to right Flossie Schradsky Frankel and Elsie Lewin Stern; Bottom Bella Lewin Morse.''
Dates: 1914 January 29