National Council of Jewish Women. Denver Section
The National Council of Jewish Women, Denver Section (NCJW) was a women's philanthropic organization founded by Carrie Benjamin in October 1893 to serve the Denver, Colorado Jewish community. Most of the early members were members of Temple Emanuel in Denver and were dedicated to social causes. Education was an early priority of the Denver Section and classes were held to serve Eastern European Jewish immigrants in the West Colfax area of Denver. The Council established a settlement house in West Denver for Jewish boys, worked with disabled children and initiated the Children's Traveling Theatre. During World War II, the Council was involved in the resettlement of Jewish refugees in Denver.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Members of the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW), Denver Section attend the 23rd Biennial Convention of the National Council of Jewish Women held in Los Angeles, Calif. in 1959, including from left to right: Myra Levy, an unidentified registrar, Mary Jacobs, Bernice Frieder, an unidentified woman, Faye Schayer, Billie Stein, Marilyn Berenbeim, Saralee Pollock (later Shaper) and an unidentified woman.