National Jewish Hospital (U.S.)
Est. 1899, National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives changed its name several times, subsequently being known as National Jewish Hospital (1925) becoming National Jewish Hospital and Research Center (1965), National Jewish Hospital/National Asthma Center (after merging with the National Asthma Center in 1978), National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine (1985), and then renamed as National Jewish Medical and Research Center (1997). Name changed to National Jewish Health (2008). See http://www.nationaljewish.org/about/
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Brief description of several early Jewish leaders of commerce, philanthropy, religion, and community as well as several Jewish lawyers, doctors, merchants, and politicians in Colorado.
Overview Left to right: Jack Gelt, president Mile High Lodge #1783; Lloyd Kahn, chairman Blood Bank Committee Mile High Lodge; Myron Miller (Mickey) president Lodge 171; and David E. Harlem, chairman Blood Bank Committee of the Chest Disease Center pose together while making plans for the Blood Bank Program at National Jewish Hospital.
Overview Dr. Emanuel Friedman, a pediatrician in Denver, Colorado, seated at his office desk. He originally came to Colorado because of tuberculosis. After recovering his health, he opened his office on West Colfax Avenue in the immigrant community and was one of Denver's first pediatricians. He graduated from Denver's Gross Medical College in 1904 and also served on the medical staff at National Jewish Hospital and the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society.
Overview Ten men stand in a row at National Jewish Hospital. Left to right are Earl Morris, Dr. Louis Adelman, Alfred Grauman, Dr. Charles Kaufman, Milton Guldman, Rabbi W.S. Friedman, Ed Johnson, Jacob Wolff, Walter Appel, and Sam Schaefer .
Overview Brief biographies of Jewish men and women who grew up in Jewish communities in Colorado. Contains historical photographs and interviews with people describing their childhoods.
Overview Several unidentified men and women pose in front of a car in Eldorado Springs, Colorado during a Denver Section Council of Jewish Women picnic for adults of National Jewish Hospital. Many of them are eating popsicles.
Overview Dr. Robert Levy (1864-1945) began attending the University of Denver in 1880. Most of the signatures in the autograph album date from when he was a student at the university. He started practicing medicine in Denver in 1884 after training at Bellevue Hospital. He helped found National Jewish Hospital and Gross Medical College. He served as president of the Denver and Colorado medical societies. Publications in the collection by Dr. Levy are on medical education and on the effect of climate and...