National Jewish Hospital (U.S.)
Est. 1899, National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives changed its name several times, subsequently being known as National Jewish Hospital (1925) becoming National Jewish Hospital and Research Center (1965), National Jewish Hospital/National Asthma Center (after merging with the National Asthma Center in 1978), National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine (1985), and then renamed as National Jewish Medical and Research Center (1997). Name changed to National Jewish Health (2008). See http://www.nationaljewish.org/about/
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
File — Box: B005.04.0185
Scope and Contents 13 folders with historic documents out of 18 folders.
File — Box: B005.07.0201
Overview Dr. Emanuel Friedman came to Colorado in the late 19th century when he was diagnosed with tuberculosis. He graduated from Denver's Gross Medical College in 1904. After recovering his health, he opened his office on West Colfax Avenue in the immigrant Jewish community and became one of Denver's first pediatricians. He also served on the medical staff at National Jewish Hospital (NJH) and the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The collection consists of copies of photographs of...
Overview Isidor D. Bronfin was born in 1886 in Russia and migrated to the United States in 1902. He earned a medical degree from the University of the State of New York in 1911--the same year that he became a U.S. citizen. Bronfin was a noted authority on tuberculosis treatment and authored several publications on the topic. Within the Colorado medical community and at the national level, he served in a number of leadership roles including medical director of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society...
Overview Dr. John Elsner was born in Vienna on May 4, 1844 and migrated to America as a young man. Elsner graduated from the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. In 1866, he graduated from the Bellevue Hospital Medical College in New York. After becoming interested in the American West, he led a wagon train into Colorado in 1866 and was Denver's first Jewish physician. He was appointed Denver County physician in 1870 and was the prime mover in the establishment of Denver's first general hospital (now...
Overview Three covers of the NJH newsletter. From January, 1931 "Dedicated to Mrs. Seraphine Pisko." From May, 1929 "Nature's Sovereign Remedy by I. D. Bronfin." From May, 1939 a picture of two patients with a caption "Convalescents, The bloom of health is on their cheeks again."
Overview Map of the United States with numbers in each state of the number of patients from that state. In the middle is a photograph of a nurse with three children, one in a wheelchair, in front of the B'nai B'rith Building.