Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives (U.S.)

 Organization

Sources

Found information from National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Nov. 15, 2001 (name changed 1997 to National Jewish Medical and Research Center; History of name changes: National Jewish Hospital (1899-1924--National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives; 1925-1964--National Jewish Hospital at Denver; 1965-1977--National Jewish Hospital and Research Center; after National Asthma Center merged with National Jewish, 1978-1985--National Jewish Hospital/National Asthma Center; 1986-1996--National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine; 1997-2008 -- National Jewish Medical and Research Center; July 2008- National Jewish Health).

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Collection on Seraphine Pisko

 Collection
Identifier: B242
Overview Seraphine Eppstein Pisko was Executive-Secretary of National Jewish Hospital from 1911 to 1938. She was involved in both Jewish and secular social organizations, holding executive positions in the Hebrew Ladies' Benevolent Society, National Council of Jewish Women, and National Jewish Hospital. The collection, intentionally assembled by the Beck Archives, consists of papers providing biographical information about Pisko as well as letterhead and invitations from National Jewish Hospital and...
Dates: 1900-1942

National Jewish Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: B005
Overview In 1899, the Jewish community erected the non-sectarian National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado, for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International B'nai B'rith fraternal organization, patients from all over the U.S. were admitted free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, proper nutrition, and rest. The hospital was founded by a group of Jewish residents of Denver who were of...
Dates: 1892-