Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol (Denver, Colo.)
Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The Beth Ha-Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) confirmation class of 1915 members are seated and standing in suits and dresses. The girls have large bows in their hair. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is seated in the middle of the second row. Left to right: Charles Rosenbaum and David Grimes seated on the floor. Sophie Miller Peterman standing second from right.
Dates: circa 1915
Abstract The Beth Ha-Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) confirmation class members of 1921 are seated and standing in suits and dresses. The girls are all wearing hats. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is standing in the middle of the second row.
Abstract The Beth Ha-Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) confirmation class of 1930 members are standing in suits and dresses. The girls have large bouquets in their arms. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is standing in the front row and next to him is standing Peryle Hayutin (Beck) with her hair in long curls. Rear L-R: Raymond Spiegelman, Albert Schnitzer, Bernard Goldberg, Abraham Kauvar (son of Rabbi Kauvar) and Paul Kwantin; Second row L-R: Leo Flax, Marvin Goldfarb, Minnie Wallins (teacher), Beatrice Pashel Groussman,...
Abstract Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco...
File — Box: B125.01.0001
Abstract Beth haMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH) records, newspaper clippings, confirmation programs, publications, dinners, and historical information.
File — Box: B221.01.0001
Abstract Interview includes early life in Colorado, Jewish organizations, East High School, and her career as a court reporter.Tape 1, Side A Minute 0- Family history and migration Minute 68- Victor, Colorado days 1900-1912; nature of the Jewish community; Jewish-Gentile relations; the observances of Judaism, occupations of men, Jewish identification 209- Moving to Denver, residences, feelings about moving 243- Organizations: 245 BMH, 252 Hadassah, 331- Others Tape 2, Side B (begins at...
Dates: 1978 July 25
Abstract Rabbi Charles E. Hillel Kauvar was a rabbi for 69 years at the Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (The Great House of Learning) Synagogue in Denver, Colorado. He was also a professor of rabbinical literature at the University of Denver for 43 years and helped establish the Center for Judaic Studies at the University. After he retired from teaching, the University of Denver honored him by establishing a Kauvar Chair of Hebraic Studies. Rabbi Kauvar was born in Vilna, Lithuania in 1879 and began as rabbi...
Abstract Rabbi Samuel Adelman (1916-1966) was the leader of Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) Synagogue from 1957 until his death in 1966. He was also the president of the Religious Council on Human Relations for Metropolitan Denver and the Denver Housing Board, and was well-known for his talks on Russian Jews. Adelman was buried at Mount Nebo Cemetary and an estimated 1,400 people attended memorial services at BMH.
Abstract Stanley M. Wagner was born in 1932 in Brooklyn, New York and ordained at Yeshiva University. He was the spiritual leader of BMH-BJ from 1972-1997. He received 6 post graduate degrees, founded the University of Denver's Center for Judaic Studies in 1975, and co-founded the Mizel Museum of Judaica in 1982. 1970-1972, he was the executive vice-president of the religeous zionest (mizrachi). He was directory of the Center for Judaic Studies from 1975 until he retired in 2006. As part of the Center...
Dates: Other: 1950-2002