University of Denver Stadium (Denver, Colo.)
Groundbreaking of the stadium began in 1925. Football stadium opened to a game with Colorado School of Mines in 1926. It was later demolished in 1971 and replaced by tennis courts and fields.
CitationBreck, A.D. (1996). From the rockies to the world (pg.117); “Football Victory Caps Formal Dedication of Huge Pioneer Stadium,” University of Denver Clarion, vol. 31, no. 3, October 7, 1926, 1.
Breck, A.D. (1996). From the rockies to the world (pg. 183); Board of Trustees Minutes – Volume S: page 33, 36.
University of Denver. Special Collections and Archives. University of Denver Buildings Collection. Communique. (1971). [U123.01.0009.0023].
Scope Note Use for: Hilltop Stadium (Denver, Colo.)
Ground Breaking for the "Hill Top" Stadium in 1925.
Sources Card Catalog. Administration- Board of Trustees.
Dedication of Stadium on October 2nd, 1926.
Sources “Stadium- Groundbreaking/Dedication, 1925 – 1926,” University of Denver Buildings Collection. [U123.01.0009.0020]; University of Denver. Special Collections and Archives. University of Denver Buildings Collection. Dedication program. [U123.01.0009.0020].
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
Overview University of Denver (DU) Pioneers men's football player Dick Gupton (31) catches the ball near the sideline as two University of Wyoming opponents John Watts and Jerry Tucker close in to make a tackle. DU teammate Larry Ross is visible running upfield to make potential blocks. Teammate Max Willsey (20) is shown on the far left being tackled to the ground in a game on November 24, 1955 in the University of Denver Stadium in Denver, Colorado.
Dates: 1955 November 24