Alumni Gymnasium (Denver, Colo.)
University of Denver. Date built: 1910. "In 1910 Alumni Gymnasium was built on the site of the present-day Daniels College of Business. Conforming with the other buildings constructed during this era, the Roeschlaub-designed structure incorporated features found in Roman or Renaissance architecture. The prototype for the building was the Roman Basilica. [...] During World War I, the gymnasium was converted into a barracks, housing close to 300 military personnel. Additionally, a hopsital wing was constructed on the building's north side" (Built for Learning, p. 18). "Alumni Gymnasium was imploded in September 1997 to make way for the Daniels College of Business" (Built for Learning, p. 36).
Alumni Gymnasium Dedication in 1908.
Sources University of Denver. (1908). The Denver Times. (1908). Governor Changes Site for University Building In Order to Save Fine Trees. [U123.01.0001.0003]
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Group shot of a men's basketball team at the University of Denver in the Alumni Gym with a basketball hoop in the background. Eight members of the team are standing, and five are kneeling in front of them; the player on the far left is handing a basketball to a coach. The players are wearing long pants and white DU T-shirts and are all looking in the direction of the coach.
Dates: 1953 May
Overview Group portrait of a men's tumbling team at the University of Denver. The group of twelve students are standing or sitting in the Alumni Gym, wearing long pants and tank tops. Visible in the background are students playing basketball and banners reading: "Conference Champions Basketball" and "Conference Championship Baseball 1915."
Dates: circa 1920-circa 1966
Overview View of the Alumni Gym at the University of Denver during registration day. The gym is filled with rows of tables labeled with signs either on poles or hanging from the ceiling. Students are lined up at various tables, and persons seated at the tables are filling out forms. Signs read, from left to right, "Mech." "English Humanit[ies]" "Phys. Ed. M" "Philos." "Science" "Bas. Comm. Speech" "Bus. Ed." "Community College" "HRM" "Student & General Admission Section" "Soc. Sci." "San. Sci."...
Overview Aerial view of the University of Denver University Park campus in the early 1940s. In foreground, left to right: University Hall; Iliff School of Theology, and the Mary Reed Building (then the Mary Reed Library). In middle, left to right: the Alumni Gymnasium, Margery Reed Hall, Buchtel Memorial Chapel, and Science Hall. In background: DU Hilltop Stadium, before the construction of the Field House Arena.