Guaranty Bank and Trust Company (1955-2017)
The Guaranty Bank and Trust Company was founded in June 1955 by a group of Jewish businessmen to create access for Jewish businesses to get loans. Anti-Semitism made it difficult for Jews to get loans from other banks. Many of the same businessmen also helped fund the General Maurice Rose Memorial Hospital. Walter A. Woods, Herbert Horwich, and Ira L. Quiat signed the original Articles of Incorporation. The first Board of Directors included Joe Alpert and Joseph Pepper. The original bank was located at 811 17th street. There were branches of the Guaranty Bank throughout Colorado. The "G" logo was created in 2006. In 2017, the Guaranty Bank was purchased and in January 1919 it became the Independent Bank out of Texas.
Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:
Walter A. Woods, Herbert Horwich, and Ira L. Quiat signed the original Articles of Incorporation. The corporate papers are from June 1955 when the Guaranty Bank and Trust was incorporated to 1979.
File contains newspaper clippings about Jewish Denver life in general from 1902-1985. Most are from the 1970s and 1980s. Subjects include urban renewal, small town Jewish life, Jewish community in Denver, etc.
Joe Alpert (1918-1977) was born in Boulder, CO, and was a prominent leader, businessman, and philanthropist in the Denver Jewish community. He founded the General Rose Memorial Hospital in 1945, serving as president from 1951-1956. He dedicated the Joe and Betty Alpert Arthritis Treatment Center at Rose in 1975. Alpert also was a co-founder of Guaranty Bank in 1955.