Skip to main content

Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center

 Organization

Sources

The Jewish Community Center of Denver opened in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athletic activities to local Jewish communities. The Rude family donated the land in Blumberg Park and the Guldman family donated the equipment. With the initiation of day camping and programs for young adults and seniors, the Guldman Center outgrew the building and moved to a large mansion at 1601 Irving Street in 1937. The Center served to bring cultural and educational opportunities to the Jewish community. There were English classes for immigrants as well as literary and musical programs. The Irving Street Center served as the west branch of the Jewish Community Center until 1967. The east branch opened in 1950 at the old B’nai B’rith building at Colfax and Williams. In 1962, a new Jewish Community Center opened on 10 acres of land at East Alameda and Dahlia Streets, the Center's current site. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center.

Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Jewish Community Center Ranch Camp Records

 Collection
Identifier: B180
Abstract Since 1953, the JCC Ranch Camp has been creating Jewish memories and friendships that last a lifetime. Located in Colorado’s magnificent Black Forest, the Ranch Camp provides children entering grades 2-11 with a truly western Jewish experience. Over the last 60 years of operation, JCC Ranch Camp has established a strong tradition of community that is built around and devoted to our campers. It is a place where life-long friendships are born, Jewish identities are discovered and nourished, and...
Dates: 1966-1986

Jewish Community Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: B179
Abstract The Jewish Community Center originated in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athlectic activities to local Jewish communities. The Center operated in various locations until a new location was opened at East Alameda and Dahlia. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center. Collection contains programs, publications, events, ephemera, architectural plans and administrative papers from the Jewish Community...
Dates: 1934-1975

Mike Zelinger on Jewish Community Center, circa 1978

 Item
Identifier: B098.01.0001.00019
Abstract Mike Zelinger talks about the startup of the community in Denver as well as the Jewish Community Center (JCC) starting in the early 1920s.
Dates: circa 1978

Oral History Interview with Helen Ginsburg, 1979 July 19

 Item
Identifier: B098.07.0009.00007
Abstract Topics Covered: Family background and growing up in Chicago; working at the Jewish Community Center, getting social work degree from DU and working for Red Cross, served on Board and as president of Center, fund raising and the camp.
Dates: 1979 July 19

Oral History Interview with John Streltzer, 1979 June 29

 Item
Identifier: B098.07.0008.00002
Abstract Topics Covered: Originally from Denver, West Colfax, family life, involvement with JCC through B'nai B'rith at first, Ranch Camp, Fundraising, President of B'nai B'rith and JCC, time in legislature. Index in file: B098.18.0022.0010.
Dates: 1979 June 29

Oral History Interview with Surriee Miller, 1979 July 19

 Item
Identifier: B098.07.0009.00006
Abstract Topics Covered: Family background and immigrating, growing up in Denver with 8 other siblings, Jewish community, working at the Jewish Community Center, nature of the Center’s work; mentions Isadore Rude, Bloomfield, Guldman, Pisko and many others; camp, loved working at the Center.
Dates: 1979 July 19