Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center
The Jewish Community Center of Denver opened in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athletic activities to local Jewish communities. The Rude family donated the land in Blumberg Park and the Guldman family donated the equipment. With the initiation of day camping and programs for young adults and seniors, the Guldman Center outgrew the building and moved to a large mansion at 1601 Irving Street in 1937. The Center served to bring cultural and educational opportunities to the Jewish community. There were English classes for immigrants as well as literary and musical programs. The Irving Street Center served as the west branch of the Jewish Community Center until 1967. The east branch opened in 1950 at the old B’nai B’rith building at Colfax and Williams. In 1962, a new Jewish Community Center opened on 10 acres of land at East Alameda and Dahlia Streets, the Center's current site. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Abstract Topics Covered: Family background and immigrating, growing up in Denver with 8 other siblings, Jewish community, working at the Jewish Community Center, nature of the Center’s work; mentions Isadore Rude, Bloomfield, Guldman, Pisko and many others; camp, loved working at the Center.
Dates: 1979 July 19