Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center
The Jewish Community Center of Denver opened in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athletic activities to local Jewish communities. The Rude family donated the land in Blumberg Park and the Guldman family donated the equipment. With the initiation of day camping and programs for young adults and seniors, the Guldman Center outgrew the building and moved to a large mansion at 1601 Irving Street in 1937. The Center served to bring cultural and educational opportunities to the Jewish community. There were English classes for immigrants as well as literary and musical programs. The Irving Street Center served as the west branch of the Jewish Community Center until 1967. The east branch opened in 1950 at the old B’nai B’rith building at Colfax and Williams. In 1962, a new Jewish Community Center opened on 10 acres of land at East Alameda and Dahlia Streets, the Center's current site. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center.
Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:
Edward Elias Simon was a long-time board member and president of the Jewish Community Center (JCC) from 1967 to 1969. He initiated a development fund during his presidency of the JCC and the new facilities were dedicated in August of 1972. The collection includes material on the expansion project of the JCC, administrative materials, photographs, and newsclippings.
Topics covered: History of programs of the JCC
Mike Zelinger talks about the startup of the community in Denver as well as the Jewish Community Center (JCC) starting in the early 1920s.
Topics covered: Goals of the Jewish Community Center, functions of the center, relationship to other agencies, individual leaders of the center. Index in file: B098.18.0022.0010.
Topics Covered: Family background and growing up in Denver, Jewish community, Jewish Community Center involvement on board, as president, fundraising, functions of the Center.
Topics Covered: Family background and growing up in Chicago; working at the Jewish Community Center, getting social work degree from DU and working for Red Cross, served on Board and as president of Center, fund raising and the camp.
Topics covered: Early life, coming to Denver in 1958 to be the director of the JCC, there while new building was being built, left for Oakland in 1962 and returned to Denver on 1965, JCC Ranch summer camp, Center programs, Denver Jewish community, relationship with other organizations: National Council of Jewish Women, National Jewish Health, B'nai B'rith.