Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center

 Organization

Sources

The Jewish Community Center of Denver opened in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athletic activities to local Jewish communities. The Rude family donated the land in Blumberg Park and the Guldman family donated the equipment. With the initiation of day camping and programs for young adults and seniors, the Guldman Center outgrew the building and moved to a large mansion at 1601 Irving Street in 1937. The Center served to bring cultural and educational opportunities to the Jewish community. There were English classes for immigrants as well as literary and musical programs. The Irving Street Center served as the west branch of the Jewish Community Center until 1967. The east branch opened in 1950 at the old B’nai B’rith building at Colfax and Williams. In 1962, a new Jewish Community Center opened on 10 acres of land at East Alameda and Dahlia Streets, the Center's current site. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center.

Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:

Edward Simon Papers

 Collection
Identifier: B329
Overview

Edward Elias Simon was a long-time board member and president of the Jewish Community Center (JCC) from 1967 to 1969. He initiated a development fund during his presidency of the JCC and the new facilities were dedicated in August of 1972. The collection includes material on the expansion project of the JCC, administrative materials, photographs, and newsclippings.

Dates: 1958-1982

Jewish Community Center Records

 Collection
Identifier: B179
Overview The Jewish Community Center originated in 1922 as part of a nationwide movement to provide cultural and athlectic activities to local Jewish communities. The Center operated in various locations until a new location was opened at East Alameda and Dahlia. In 1995, after extensive renovation, the Center was dedicated as the Robert E. Loup Jewish Community Center. Collection contains programs, publications, events, ephemera, architectural plans and administrative papers from the Jewish Community...
Dates: 1934-1975