Colorado Women's College
- Existence: 1888-1973
College created in 1888 as Colorado Woman's College. Its name changed to Temple Buell College in 1966, and changed again to Colorado Women's College in 1973 and merged into the University of Denver in 1982.
Sources Card Catalog. Administration- Board of Trustees.
Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Colorado Woman's College was conceived as a "Vassar of the West" by its founder, the Rev. Robert Cameron, who wanted to establish a women's college in the Western United States that would offer high-level academics to women. Cameron was the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Denver. The sponsoring body was inadvertently incorporated in 1888 as the Woman's College Society (amended to Colorado Woman's College Society the following year), though it did not open until 1909. Located in northeast...
Overview Joyce (Axton) Jamison was a student at the Colorado Women's College from 1949-1951. She remained active in the alumni community. She married Francis (Frank) Jamison, a Denver judge and graduate from the University of Denver Law School in 1956. Her older sister Virginia Axton Hughes was also an alum of the Colorado Women's College.
Overview Louise Bieri was a student of the Colorado Women's College in 1921. She graduated in 1923 and became a teacher. In 1950, she graduated from the University of Denver with a Bachelor's in Education. Her daughter, Grace von Ehrenkrook Walker, also graduated from CWC in 1948 and from CU in 1950. She donated her mother's scrapbook to the archives.
Scope and Contents The bulk of the collection contains general correspondence to and from Dr. Chambers during her tenure as president and papers concerning fund-raising efforts. Other major areas covered are interviews and employment at Colorado Women's College, Chambers' inauguration and resignation, and newspaper clippings regarding Colorado Women's College’s near-closure in 1976.