Colorado Women's College
- Existence: 1888-1973
College created in 1888 as Colorado Woman's College. Its name changed to Temple Buell College in 1966, and changed again to Colorado Women's College in 1973 and merged into the University of Denver in 1982.
Sources Card Catalog. Administration- Board of Trustees.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Colorado Woman's College was conceived as a "Vassar of the West" by its founder, the Rev. Robert Cameron, who wanted to establish a women's college in the Western United States that would offer high-level academics to women. Cameron was the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Denver. The sponsoring body was inadvertently incorporated in 1888 as the Woman's College Society (amended to Colorado Woman's College Society the following year), though it did not open until 1909. Located in northeast...