Colorado Women's College
- Existence: 1888-1973
College created in 1888 as Colorado Woman's College. Its name changed to Temple Buell College in 1966, and changed again to Colorado Women's College in 1973 and merged into the University of Denver in 1982.
Sources Card Catalog. Administration- Board of Trustees.
Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:
Dates: Majority of material found in 1982-2007
Found in: Special Collections and Archives
Overview Colorado Woman's College was conceived as a "Vassar of the West" by its founder, the Rev. Robert Cameron, who wanted to establish a women's college in the Western United States that would offer high-level academics to women. Cameron was the pastor of the First Baptist Church of Denver. The sponsoring body was inadvertently incorporated in 1888 as the Woman's College Society (amended to Colorado Woman's College Society the following year), though it did not open until 1909. Located in northeast...
Overview An early document describes the Mission of the Colorado Women's College. The document lays out the five principle goals of the College, and then goes on to describe the processes for achieving them.
Dates: 1977 August 18
Overview This file contains the legal document that records the University of Denver's acquisition of Colorado Women's College. The document describes how the College would be continued within the University, and how the transition would take place.
Dates: 1982 February 2
Overview Joyce (Axton) Jamison was a student at the Colorado Women's College from 1949-1951. She remained active in the alumni community. She married Francis (Frank) Jamison, a Denver judge and graduate from the University of Denver Law School in 1956. Her older sister Virginia Axton Hughes was also an alum of the Colorado Women's College.
Dates: 1949-2000; Majority of material found within 1949-1951