University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies
In 1975, Center for Judaic Studies is founded and Judaic Studies are initiated in 1976.
CitationBreck, A.D. (1996). From the rockies to the world (pg. 181).
Clarion, May 5, 1976.
Found in 11 Collections and/or Records:
File — Box: B131.01.0001
Scope and Contents Contains correspondence of Saundra Heller, Irving Goldenberg, Frederick Greenspahn, Sheelagh Dytri, and Jeanne Abrams of the Center for Judaic Studies from 1975-1985. Also, Brochures for the Center from 1980-1982.
File — Box: B131.01.0002
Scope and Contents Contains correspondence of Raphael Jospe, Belle Marcus, Stanley Wagner, and Uri Neil of the Center for Judaic Studies from 1975-1985. Also, introductory speech by Miriam Gottesfeld at Center for Judaic Studies' Bar Mitzvah in 1988.
File — Box: B398.02.0023
Abstract Three inch 3-ring binder full of negatives and photographic prints of the participants for study; prints of finished drawings, some the final product and some other portrait versions. There are also 5 books related to participants in the portrait project and the project in general: "Appel is Forever" by Suzanne Whiteley, “Soundless Roar” by Ava Kadishson Schieber, “Letters from Colorado Holocaust Survivors to Future Generations” compiled by the Center for Judaic Studies, “Lodz Ghetto Album”...
Abstract The Center was founded by Rabbi C. E. Kauvar and Rabbi Stanley Wagner at the University of Denver. Collection contains correspondence and administrative records from the Center of Judaic Studies from 1975-1988.
Abstract Collection contains newspaper clippings, publications, memos, press releases, reports, notes, reports, and audiovisual material related to Center for Judaic Studies from 1989 through 2000.
Dates: Other: 1989-2015
Abstract The Maimonides Society was established mid-1982 as an affiliate of the Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Denver. It was established to support the Center for Judaic Studies through donor development, public programming and Jewish cultural events. They also produced a newsletter publication "The Maimonidean." The organization lasted from 1982-1987.Collection contains mailing lists, patron files, correspondence, newsletters, newspaper clippings, and administrative...
Abstract Rabbi Charles E. Hillel Kauvar was a rabbi for 69 years at the Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (The Great House of Learning) Synagogue in Denver, Colorado. He was also a professor of rabbinical literature at the University of Denver for 43 years and helped establish the Center for Judaic Studies at the University. After he retired from teaching, the University of Denver honored him by establishing a Kauvar Chair of Hebraic Studies. Rabbi Kauvar was born in Vilna, Lithuania in 1879 and began as rabbi...
Abstract Stanley M. Wagner was born in 1932 in Brooklyn, New York and ordained at Yeshiva University. He was the spiritual leader of BMH-BJ from 1972-1997. He received 6 post graduate degrees, founded the University of Denver's Center for Judaic Studies in 1975, and co-founded the Mizel Museum of Judaica in 1982. 1970-1972, he was the executive vice-president of the religeous zionest (mizrachi). He was directory of the Center for Judaic Studies from 1975 until he retired in 2006. As part of the Center...
Dates: Other: 1950-2002
Abstract Raphael Jospe was a scholar in residence in Denver's Sister City Karmiel, Israel in 1982. He was a philosophy assistant professor and coordinator of the Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Denver. The file contains notes; a speech given by Dr. Jospe to the Executive Board of the American Zionist Federation in New York on April 1982; a "Report on Visit to Karmiel as Scholar in Residence (March 10-18, 1982);" and a newsclipping about the visit.