Congregation Shearith Israel (Denver, Colo.)
Congregation Shearith Israel was organized in 1887 and met for services at 14th and Blake, Denver, Colorado. In 1903, Shearith Israel moved to 10th and Lawrence into a building built in 1876 and consecrated as Emmanuel Episcopalian Chapel in September 1877. Shearith Israel was informally known as the Tenth Street Shul. Congregation Shearith Israel disbanded in 1958. __ __ __Shearith Israel (Jeanne E. Abrams, Images of America: Jewish Denver, 1859-1940 (Charleston: Arcadia, 2007), 69.) Phil Goodstein, Exploring Jewish Colorado (Denver: Rocky Mountain Jewish historical Society, Center for Judaic Studies, University of Denver, 1992), 15-16. Emmanuel Gallery. ''History of the Gallery.'' Last modified August 26, 2009. http://www.emmanuelgallery.org/history.htm. Emmanual Shearith Israel Chapel (History Colorado. ''Denver City & County (D-E).'' http://www.historycolorado.org/oahp/denver-city-county-d-e.) Emmanual Shearith Israel Chapel (National Register of Historic Places. ''Colorado - Denver County.'' http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/co/Denver/state3.html.) Jeanne E. Abrams, Historic Jewish Denver (Denver: Rocky Mountain Jewish historical Society, Center for Judaic Studies, University of Denver, 1982), 8.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Abstract Congregation Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), or the Tenth Street Shul as it was also known, was founded in 1899 as a Jewish orthodox synagogue. The young congregation bought a small stone church in Denver at the Tenth Street site in 1903 and remodeled the building to suit its needs as a synagogue. The last of the operating synagogues in the "Old Colfax" area of Denver, Shearith Israel closed its doors in 1958, having been largely used by Jewish businessmen working in the...