Skip to main content

Congregation Shearith Israel (Denver, Colo.)

 Organization

Congregation Shearith Israel was organized in 1887 and met for services at 14th and Blake, Denver, Colorado. In 1903, Shearith Israel moved to 10th and Lawrence into a building built in 1876 and consecrated as Emmanuel Episcopalian Chapel in September 1877. Shearith Israel was informally known as the Tenth Street Shul. Congregation Shearith Israel disbanded in 1958. __ __ __Shearith Israel (Jeanne E. Abrams, Images of America: Jewish Denver, 1859-1940 (Charleston: Arcadia, 2007), 69.) Phil Goodstein, Exploring Jewish Colorado (Denver: Rocky Mountain Jewish historical Society, Center for Judaic Studies, University of Denver, 1992), 15-16. Emmanuel Gallery. ''History of the Gallery.'' Last modified August 26, 2009. http://www.emmanuelgallery.org/history.htm. Emmanual Shearith Israel Chapel (History Colorado. ''Denver City & County (D-E).'' http://www.historycolorado.org/oahp/denver-city-county-d-e.) Emmanual Shearith Israel Chapel (National Register of Historic Places. ''Colorado - Denver County.'' http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/co/Denver/state3.html.) Jeanne E. Abrams, Historic Jewish Denver (Denver: Rocky Mountain Jewish historical Society, Center for Judaic Studies, University of Denver, 1982), 8.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Container 4: Congregation Shearith Israel (10th Street Shul) Memorial Poster, 1900

 File — Folder: B139.02.0004
Identifier: B139.02.0004
Abstract A Poster with all the men from the (Chevera Kidishas) Burial Society names written in Hebrew.
Dates: 1900