Skip to main content

Congregation Shearith Israel (Denver, Colo.)

 Organization

Congregation Shearith Israel was organized in 1887 and met for services at 14th and Blake, Denver, Colorado. In 1903, Shearith Israel moved to 10th and Lawrence into a building built in 1876 and consecrated as Emmanuel Episcopalian Chapel in September 1877. Shearith Israel was informally known as the Tenth Street Shul. Congregation Shearith Israel disbanded in 1958. __ __ __Shearith Israel (Jeanne E. Abrams, Images of America: Jewish Denver, 1859-1940 (Charleston: Arcadia, 2007), 69.) Phil Goodstein, Exploring Jewish Colorado (Denver: Rocky Mountain Jewish historical Society, Center for Judaic Studies, University of Denver, 1992), 15-16. Emmanuel Gallery. ''History of the Gallery.'' Last modified August 26, 2009. http://www.emmanuelgallery.org/history.htm. Emmanual Shearith Israel Chapel (History Colorado. ''Denver City & County (D-E).'' http://www.historycolorado.org/oahp/denver-city-county-d-e.) Emmanual Shearith Israel Chapel (National Register of Historic Places. ''Colorado - Denver County.'' http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/co/Denver/state3.html.) Jeanne E. Abrams, Historic Jewish Denver (Denver: Rocky Mountain Jewish historical Society, Center for Judaic Studies, University of Denver, 1982), 8.

Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:

Congregation Shearith Israel (Tenth Street Shul) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B139
Abstract Congregation Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), or the Tenth Street Shul as it was also known, was founded in 1899 as a Jewish orthodox synagogue. The young congregation bought a small stone church in Denver at the Tenth Street site in 1903 and remodeled the building to suit its needs as a synagogue. The last of the operating synagogues in the "Old Colfax" area of Denver, Shearith Israel closed its doors in 1958, having been largely used by Jewish businessmen working in the...
Dates: 1900-1979

Establishing Jewish Life, Panel 2, 2001

 Item — Object: B297.02.01.00031
Identifier: B297.02.01.00031
Abstract One of 12 exhibit display panels from the exhibit "Blazing the Trail: Denver's Jewish Pioneers." Panel titled "Establishing Jewish Life" and includes Congregation Zera Abraham, Talmud Torah, Shul Baer Milstein, Oheb Zadek Congregation, Tenth Street Shul, and Rabbis Manuel Laderman and Elias Hillkowitz.
Dates: 2001

Exterior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0014.00006
Abstract Exterior of Congregation Shearith Israel. The building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colorado. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education Center in downtown Denver since 1973, is the oldest surviving religious structure in Denver. It was...
Dates: circa 1959

Exterior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0006.00005
Abstract Exterior of Congregation Shearith Israel. The building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colorado. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education Center in downtown Denver since 1973, is the oldest surviving religious structure in Denver. It was...
Dates: circa 1959

Exterior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0006.00006
Abstract Exterior of Congregation Shearith Israel. The building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colorado. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education Center in downtown Denver since 1973, is the oldest surviving religious structure in Denver. It was...
Dates: circa 1959

Interior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0022.00021
Abstract Interior view of Congregation Shearith Israel from the front entrance looking through a door into the sanctuary. The Congregation Shearith Israel building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colo. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education...
Dates: circa 1959

Interior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0014.00005
Abstract Interior of Congregation Searith Israel showing pews and alter. The Congregation Shearith Israel building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colo. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education Center in downtown Denver since 1973, is the oldest...
Dates: circa 1959

Interior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0006.00003
Abstract Desk at Congregation Shearith Israel filled with papers, books, a prayer shawl, tzitzit, and yarmulke. The Congregation Shearith Israel building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colo. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education Center in...
Dates: circa 1959

Interior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0006.00004
Abstract The Congregation Shearith Israel building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colo. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education Center in downtown Denver since 1973, is the oldest surviving religious structure in Denver. It was originally...
Dates: circa 1959

Interior of Congregation Shearith Israel, circa 1959

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0029.0007.00001
Abstract The Congregation Shearith Israel building is located at 10th and Lawrence Streets on the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver, Colo. Since the 1970s it has been used as an art gallery by the Auraria Higher Education Center. The building served as the synagogue for the Jewish orthodox congregation Shearith Israel from 1903 to 1958. This building, part of the Auraria Higher Education Center in downtown Denver since 1973, is the oldest surviving religious structure in Denver. It was originally...
Dates: circa 1959