Evans Memorial Chapel (Denver, Colo.)
University of Denver. 2200 South Race Street, Denver, Colorado 80208. Date built: 1878 Gross square feet: 2206. - Alternate name: Evans Chapel. Constructed in 1878, first called Grace Church (on 14th and Bannock), Evans Chapel was moved to The University of Denver campus in 1961. On December 27, 1974, it was added to National Register of Historic Places as building number 74000567.
CitationBreck, A.D. (1996). From the rockies to the world (pg.160).
University of Denver. (1975). Special Collections and Archives. University of Denver Buildings Collection. The State Historical Society of Colorado. Letter to DU. [U123.01.0004.0006]
Announced in the January 12, 1960 issue of the Denver Clarion, that the Evans Memorial Chapel, donated to the University would be completed by the middle of April 1961. Evans Chapel, originally located at 13th and Bannock St., started in 1873, when the Sunday School Mission of Saint Lawrence Street Chapel needed a building. THe group met in a reconstructed barn at 1353 D St., which is now Delaware Street.
Found in 267 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Aerial view of the University Park Campus of the University of Denver and the University Park neighborhood of Denver, Colorado. The view is taken from east of campus and looks northwest, with the Santa Fe rail line, the South Platte River, and the Rocky Mountains visible in the background.
Overview Aerial view of the University of Denver campus in Denver, Colorado, taken from the south. Visible buildings include: University of Denver Stadium (Hilltop Stadium), Mary Reed Building, Boettcher Center, Evans Memorial Chapel, Johnson-McFarlane Hall, University Hall, Buchtel Memorial Chapel, Science Hall, Aspen Hall, the Iliff School of Theology, Centennial Towers, and Field House Arena
Overview Aerial view of the University of Denver campus in Denver, Colorado, taken from the south, with an architect's rendering of the proposed Denver Research Institute building overlaid on the image. One portion of this proposed building became the Boettcher Center. Other buildings visible include Johnson-McFarlane Hall, Aspen Hall, Mary Reed Building, the Iliff School of Theology, University Hall, Buchtel Memorial Chapel, Science Hall, the Student Union, Evans Memorial Chapel, University of Denver...
Overview Set of black and white negatives with contact sheet depicting former University of Denver Chancellor Chester Alter and professor Lucy Marsh in Harper Humanities Gardens near Evans Memorial Chapel.
Overview Black and white contact sheet with negatives of images from a student demonstration at the University of Denver, including of students sitting on the lawn and walking around between Evans Memorial Chapel and Mary Reed Building.
Overview A bound short history of the Evans Memorial Chapel at the University of Denver compiled by Leslie Scofield in 1961. The history contains photos of the building and covers the history of the building from its contruction to its eventual move.
Overview Black and white photograph of Evans Memorial Chapel on the campus of the University of Denver. Built by university founder John Evans in downtown Denver in the 1860s, the chapel was purchased by the university in 1958 as part of a land purchase, and moved to the DU campus in 1960.
Overview A group of unidentified persons sing from hymnals while sitting on the stage of Evans Memorial Chapel on the campus of the University of Denver in Denver, Colorado.
Overview Large color photograph mounted on posterboard. The photo depicts Evans Chapel and the Humanities Garden from the northeast.
Overview Black and white contact sheet image of students sitting on the lawn in front of Evans Memorial Chapel during a student demonstration at the University of Denver.