Skip to main content

Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.)

 Organization

Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:

Beth Jacob Synagogue at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1925-1935

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0032.00005
Abstract Interior view of the synagogue at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The Mashgiach (kosher supervisor) for the JCRS sits on a chair on the bimah. The synagogue was erected in 1911 by Isaac Solomon in memory of his son Jacob. It was rebuilt in the form seen here in 1925 after a fire. At some later point it came to be known as the JCRS Isaac Solomon Synagogue. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...
Dates: between 1925-1935

Dedication of the First Synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1907

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00002
Abstract Dedication of the first synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS), in 1907. There is a large crowd gathered around the synagogue, which was a tent erected with the help of donor Bath-Seva Fleishman. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: 1907

First Synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1907

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00001
Abstract Exterior view of the first synagogue of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). This tent, donated by Mrs. Bath-Sheba Fleishman of Omaha, Neb., was erected in 1906. Signage on the roof and next to the door is in Hebrew. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of...
Dates: 1907

Henry J. Schwartz Scrapbook

 Collection
Identifier: B413
Abstract Henry J. Schwartz was born in Russia and came to New York with his parents. He settled in Denver in 1895 and married Mollie K. Kohn in 1898. Henry Schwartz was an original member of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society board of directors and served as president and vice president of the JCRS. He was also a member of the Town Club. Much of the scrapbook has clipplings on the JCRS, but also on politics, Temple Emanuel, and obituaries for Dr. Philip Hillkowitz.
Dates: 1934-1953

Isaac Solomon Synagogue (Originally Known as the Beth Jacob Synagogue) at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1950-1955

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0341.0007.00001
Abstract Exterior view of the Isaac Solomon Synagogue (originally known as the Beth Jacob Synagogue), which served the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society's (JCRS), and the area around it. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish working men along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver. Mounted on cardboard 9 x 11 inches.
Dates: between 1950-1955

JCRS Isaac Solomon Historic Synagogue Foundation Records

 Collection
Identifier: B353
Abstract The Isaac Solomon Historic Synagogue Foundation was founded in 2001 with a mission to restore the Beth Jacob Synagogue building and a tent structure on the former campus of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) in Lakewood, Colorado. The Foundation was dissolved in 2013 due to financial challenges. This collection shows the process and challenges of historic preservation. Collection contains correspondence, architectural and construction information, historical background materials,...
Dates: circa 1957-2012

JCRS Nurse with Patients, between 1900-1930

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00079
Abstract A nurse stands between two JCRS patients as they lay in the sun in their hospital beds. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside Denver.
Dates: between 1900-1930

JCRS Nurses, between 1900-1930

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00077
Abstract Four nurses in uniform, identified from top to bottom as Anderson, Elizabeth, Crosby, and Andy, stand on the steps of the Lena Bloch Memorial Home for Nurses at JCRS. Elizabeth Crosby Anderson stands on the top step. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside Denver.
Dates: between 1900-1930

JCRS Nurses, between 1900-1930

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00078
Abstract Two nurses and a man, all in uniform, stand in front of a brick building. They are, from left to right, Crosby, waiter Rubenstien, and Elizabeth Williams. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside Denver.
Dates: between 1900-1930

JCRS Nurses, between 1900-1930

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00081
Abstract Eleven nurses in uniform stand in front of the Lena Bloch Memorial Home for Nurses. Sarah Nordstrom Anderson stands third from the left. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside Denver.
Dates: between 1900-1930