Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Pisko, Seraphine Eppstein, 1861-1942

 Person

Seraphine Pisko was born to Max and Bertha Eppstein of St. Joseph, Mo., and moved with her family to Denver, Colo. in 1875. She married Denver businessman Edward Pisko in 1878 when she was seventeen, and the couple moved to New York. Within a few years he died, and she returned to Denver. She was involved for years with charitable causes, women's and Jewish groups. She was employed as Field Secretary and later Executive Secretary of the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives, retiring in 1938. At various times, she also served on the hospital's Board as Secretary or Vice President, and after her retirement, as Honorary Secretary until her death.

Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:

Collection on Seraphine Pisko

 Collection
Identifier: B242
Overview Seraphine Eppstein Pisko was Executive-Secretary of National Jewish Hospital from 1911 to 1938. She was involved in both Jewish and secular social organizations, holding executive positions in the Hebrew Ladies' Benevolent Society, National Council of Jewish Women, and National Jewish Hospital. The collection, intentionally assembled by the Beck Archives, consists of papers providing biographical information about Pisko as well as letterhead and invitations from National Jewish Hospital and...
Dates: 1900-1942

Marianne Pisko Hausmann Pen and Ink Drawing

 Collection
Identifier: B198
Overview Marianne Pisko Hausmann (1880-1969) was born in Vienna, Austria and studied at the Academy of the Austrian Museum of Art and Industry in Vienna. She moved to Denver in 1939 to join her daughter Margaret Grieg, an ophthamologist who had settled in Denver in 1938. Marianne was the niece of Denver Jewish pioneer Edward Pisko, who was elected a Colorado Territorial Representative in 1875. Her aunt by marriage, Seraphine Pisko, served as the executive director of National Jewish Hospital from...
Dates: circa 1910-1918

National Jewish Hospital Records

 Collection
Identifier: B005
Overview In 1899, the Jewish community erected National Jewish Hospital (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International Order of B'nai B'rith, the hospital served Jews and gentiles alike and accepted indigent patients free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, good nutrition, and rest. Some of the physicians associated with the hospital included Dr. Saling Simon, Dr. Robert Levy, and...
Dates: 1892 - 2018