Skip to main content

Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927

 Person

A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.

Citation

Leḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).

Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:

Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00006
Abstract A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...
Dates: circa 1914

Early Construction at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1920

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00046
Abstract Construction of the original brick building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. C. D. Spivak sits far left and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz sits beside him. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1904-1920

Group in Front of the New York Ladies Pavilion at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1910-1919

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0007.00001
Abstract A group of people stand in front of the New York Pavilion at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak is pictured in the front row, eighth from the right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanitorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: 1910-1919

Original Office of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1915

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0042.00001
Abstract Interior view of the original administrative office of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) with Dr. Charles Spivak, and his associates. Spivak, center, sits at a desk with a photograph of his friend, the Yiddish poet Yehoash (Solomon Bloomgarden), in front of him. Business manager Ben Friedland talks on the telephone. An unidentified man sits in front, and an unidentified woman sits at left in the JCRS business office. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was...
Dates: circa 1915