Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927
A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.
CitationLeḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).
Found in 88 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract The attendees at a 50th birthday celebration dinner in honor of Rubin Schwartz in New York City at the Hotel Commodore on November 30, 1946 are shown sitting at tables.
Dates: 1946 November 30
Abstract Panoramic view of the tents, three buildings and the farm at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Various people are standing in front of the tents and buildings. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver. In 1954 the institution changed its mission to...
Abstract Brief biographies of Jewish men and women who contributed to medicine, the Jewish community, and Colorado. Contains historical photographs and interviews with people who knew some of the early key figures.
Abstract American Medical Center (AMC) Cancer Center male patient putting together a jig-saw the help of a nurse and another woman. A female patient is doing embroidery at the same table.
Dates: between 1960-1969
Abstract A bed dedication ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak is pictured in the center, to the left of the man holding a plaque and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is to the right of the man holding the plaque. The dedication appears to be conducted on a stage. A large American flag is hung up behind the group of people surrounding the bed. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with...
Dates: between 1904-1928
Scope and Contents From the Series: This series contains a photo album, photographs, bulletin pages, drawings, lithographs, and contact sheets of the campus and buildings, patients and family, staff and volunteers, auxiliaries and conventions, and activities connected with the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society and the AMC Cancer Research Center.
Dates: circa 1920-1929
Abstract A bed dedication ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary donated the bed pictured. Dr. Charles Spivak stands in the back to the right and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands in back center. An unidentified woman holds a plaque that reads: ''Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary, J.C.R.S., 1917.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading...
Dates: after 1917
Abstract A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...
Dates: circa 1914
Abstract An unknown dinner event. Tables are set up with food and drink and there are a large number of people throughout the room. Dr. C. D. Spivak stands in the back left of center and Louis Robinson stands in back fourth from right.
Dates: between 1900-1920