Skip to main content

Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927

 Person

A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.

Citation

Leḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).

Found in 36 Collections and/or Records:

Play Performed at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1925

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00051
Abstract Cast of a play written by the Bookbinding Department of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak is pictured close to the center of the photograph. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado.
Dates: circa 1925

Portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak, 1926 September 10

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00006
Abstract Formal head and shoulders portrait of Denver physician Dr. Charles Spivak, who served as executive secretary of the Jewish Consumptives Relief Society from 1904 until his death in 1927.
Dates: 1926 September 10

Portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak, between 1915-1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00032
Abstract Dr. Charles Spivak. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1915-1928

Staff Banquet, 1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00055
Abstract Several men in tuxedos sit around a u-shaped table at a JCRS staff banquet in honor of Dr. Isidore Bronfin. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, Dr. Charles Spivak, and Dr. Isador Bronfin sit center. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: 1927

Staff Members of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1926

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00009
Abstract Left to right: Dr. Isidor Bronfin, JCRS medical superintendent and tuberculosis specialist; Denver Judge Ben Lindsey of the juvenile court; Dr. Leo Tepley, JCRS physician; Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial lawyer; and Dr. Charles Spivak, physician and founder of the JCRS. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located...
Dates: circa 1926

Zundelowitz Room Dedication at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, after 1926

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00036
Abstract The Mrs. Rebecca Zundelowitz Room Dedication Ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak stands far left and Dr. Isidor Bronfin stands third from left with six unidentified men. Plaque on the door reads, '' THIS ROOM ENDOWED BY, MRS. REBECCA ZUNDELOWITZ, WICHITA FALLS, TEXAS, 1925.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and...
Dates: after 1926