Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927

 Person

A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.

Citation

Leḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).

Found in 213 Collections and/or Records:

Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00006
Overview A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...

Dinner Event, between 1900-1920

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00043
Overview An unknown dinner event. Tables are set up with food and drink and there are a large number of people throughout the room. Dr. C. D. Spivak stands in the back left of center and Louis Robinson stands in back fourth from right.

Dr. and Mrs. Isidor Bronfin with Dr. Spivak, between 1904-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00002
Overview Dr. Isidor Bronfin and his wife with Dr. Charles Spivak and a group of unidentified people. Dr. Bronfin and his wife are on the left and Dr. Spivak is holding his hat near the center of the photograph. Mr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Isidor Bronfin was a physician and tuberculosis specialist with the JCRS. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support...

Dr. Charles D. Spivak in a Group Portrait, between 1920-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00095
Overview Dr. Charles D. Spivak, a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) with three other men. Dr. Isidor Bronfin is standing on the far right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado.

Dr. Charles D. Spivak of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1915-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00052
Overview Dr. Charles D. Spivak standing on the front steps of a building while smoking a cigarette. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) and served as Medical Director and Superintendent until his death in 1927. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside...

Dr. Charles Spivak, circa 1918

 Item
Identifier: B063.08.0016.00087
Overview Formal military portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak wearing his World War I dress uniform.

Dr. Charles Spivak and Dr. Isidor Bronfin, between 1920-1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00031
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak holding the door open for Dr. Isidore Bronfin. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Bronfin served as superintendent of the JCRS and National Jewish Hospital. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

Dr. Charles Spivak and Jennie Charsky in Philadelphia, 1892 September

 Item
Identifier: B250.01.0003.00001
Scope and Contents From the Collection: The collection materials include biographical information on Dr. Charles and Jennie Spivak, a family tree chart, a Yiddish dictionary written by Dr. C. D. Spivak and Sol. Bloomgarden (Yehoash), correspondence and articles written by Charles Spivak. The collection also includes memorials to Charles Spivak, including the special memorial issue of the JCRS publication, ''The Sanatorium.'' The collection also contains art by H. David Spivak, son of Charles and Jennie Spivak, including an oil...

Dr. Charles Spivak at His Desk With Dictaphone, between 1915-1923

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00030
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak sits at his desk and speaks into a dictaphone. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

Dr. Charles Spivak at JCRS, circa 1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00067
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak, founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) stands with his hands in his pockets. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside Denver.