Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927
A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.
CitationLeḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).
Found in 214 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Dr. Charles D. Spivak in his military uniform. Dr. Spivak took a leave of absence from the JCRS to serve as a special U.S. medical commissioner in war-torn Europe. He was officially a representative of the Jewish Distribution Committee to provide relief to Jewish refugees.
Dates: between 1914-1925
Overview Seven men stand around a bed at the dedication of the Yehoash Auxiliary Bed sponsored by the Waterbury, Connecticut Women's Auxiliary. Many of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society's (JCRS) beds were sponsored by charitable contributions, including a number from JCRS women's auxiliaries located around the country. Pictured from left to right are Dr. Herman Schwatt, then the JCRS medical director; Abraham Judelovitz, a Denver builder and JCRS volunteer; Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, longtime...
Overview The Mrs. Rebecca Zundelowitz Room Dedication Ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak stands far left and Dr. Isidor Bronfin stands third from left with six unidentified men. Plaque on the door reads, '' THIS ROOM ENDOWED BY, MRS. REBECCA ZUNDELOWITZ, WICHITA FALLS, TEXAS, 1925.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and...
Dates: after 1926