Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927

 Person

A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.

Citation

Leḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).

Found in 213 Collections and/or Records:

Dr. Charles Spivak of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00063
Overview Portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak standing outside an unidentified building. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Spivak also served as executive secretary from 1904 until his death in 1929.
Dates: between 1904-1927

Dr. Charles Spivak of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00064
Overview Portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak standing outside an unidentified building. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Spivak also served as executive secretary from 1904 until his death in 1929.
Dates: between 1904-1927

Dr. Charles Spivak Seated at His Desk, circa 1923

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00046
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak sits at his desk with a copy of the Denver Jewish News opened in front of him and a telephone on an extension frame behind him. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish working men along with the support of several leading physicians, including Dr. Spivak, and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: circa 1923

Dr. Charles Spivak's Gravestone, 1978

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0034.0010.00001
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak's gravestone. The stone says: ''Dr. Charles David Spivak, Dec. 25, 1861 - Oct. 16, 1927, Articulated skeleton willed to and preserved by the Hebrew University, Jerusalem Palestine.'' The inscription is repeated in Hebrew.
Dates: 1978

Dr. Spivak with Crowd at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00005
Overview Dr. Charles D. Spivak with a large crowd of people at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Spivak is in the center of the photograph and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is to his right, while Rabbi William Friedman is standing to the right in the rear. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado.
Dates: between 1904-1927

Drawing of Rabbi Reading, 1923

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0339.0003.00001
Overview Ink drawing by Olga Margolis shows a Rabbi in a prayer shawl reading a book.
Dates: 1923

Early Board Members of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1924

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0342.0004.00001
Overview Early members of the Board of Directors of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). From left to right: Upper row: Henry Ettelson, Charles Miller, Dr. S. Ettelson, Jacob Marinoff, A.T. Scharps, Henry Rosen, lower row: Sol Mangal, Dr. C. D. Spivak, Joseph Durst, John F. Halstead. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was...
Dates: circa 1924

Early Construction at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1920

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00046
Overview Construction of the original brick building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. C. D. Spivak sits far left and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz sits beside him. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1904-1920

Eatless Banquet in Honor of Captain Hillkowitz, 1918 July

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0345.0001.00001
Overview Dr. Philip Hillkowitz sits at the head of a table in a captain's army uniform at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) offices. Hillkowitz resigned from his position at the JCRS to serve as a physician in World War I. From left to right around the table are the following people: I. Rude, Vice President; Professor Nahum Slousch; Dr. C. D. Spivak, Secretary; Louis Robinson, chairman agricultural committee; H. H. Frumess, chairman auditing committee; Captain Philip Hillkowitz, JCRS...
Dates: 1918 July

Esther Lourwitz Bed Dedication at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, after 1926

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00031
Overview The Esther Lourwitz Bed Dedication Ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles David Spivak, a founder of JCRS is holding the bed dedication plaque which says ''Endowed In Memory of Our Beloved Mother and Sister Esther L. Lourwitz, [illegible] New York [illegible], 1923.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver,...
Dates: after 1926