Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927

 Person

A Jewish Immigrant from Tsarist Russia, Spivak pursued medicine out of a desire to be of service to humanity. In 1896, when his wife Jennie showed signs of incipient tuberculosis, Spivak moved their young family to Denver to take advantage of Colorado’s reputation as the World’s Sanatorium. Spivak's concern for the indignant consumptives he saw flooding into the state led to his founding the Jewish Consumptives’ Relief Society (JCRS), a sanatorium dedicated to the care of all, even those in the advanced stages of TB. Spivak also ensured that the primarily Eastern European Jewish patients were cared for in an environment that respected their culture- unlike many such institutions, the JCRS featured a kosher kitchen and observed the Jewish Sabbath and holidays. Dr. Spivak was also an associate professor of medicine at the University of Denver from 1896-1901.

Citation

Leḳsiḳon fun der nayer Yidisher liṭeraṭur, 1965 (Spiṿaḳ, Ḥayim; d. 10-16-1927; b. as Ḥayim-Ḥayḳl Spiṿaḳoṿsḳi; d. in Denver, Colorado) Yehoash. Idish ṿerṭerbukh, 1926: t.p. (Dr. Ḥayim Spiṿaḳ) t.p. verso (Dr. C. D. Spivak [in rom.]) Who's who in American Jewry, 1926 (Spivak, Charles; physician, author; b. 12-25-1861, Krementschug, Russia).

Found in 57 Collections and/or Records:

Portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak, between 1915-1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00032
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1915-1928

Staff Banquet, 1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00055
Overview Several men in tuxedos sit around a u-shaped table at a JCRS staff banquet in honor of Dr. Isidore Bronfin. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, Dr. Charles Spivak, and Dr. Isador Bronfin sit center. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: 1927

Staff Members of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1926

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00009
Overview Left to right: Dr. Isidor Bronfin, JCRS medical superintendent and tuberculosis specialist; Denver Judge Ben Lindsey of the juvenile court; Dr. Leo Tepley, JCRS physician; Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial lawyer; and Dr. Charles Spivak, physician and founder of the JCRS. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located...
Dates: circa 1926

Steam Shovel and Group at Groundbreaking Ceremony, between 1920-1925

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0151.00001
Overview The participants in a groundbreaking ceremony on the campus of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) stand in front of a steam shovel. Two men and three women ride the scoop arm of the machine. Dr. Isadore Bronfin stands second from left and Dr. Charles Spivak stands in the middle to the right of an unidentified man holding a hand shovel. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish working men along with the support of...
Dates: between 1920-1925

World War I Portrait of Dr. Charles Spivak, between 1914-1925

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00018
Overview Dr. Charles D. Spivak in his military uniform. Dr. Spivak took a leave of absence from the JCRS to serve as a special U.S. medical commissioner in war-torn Europe. He was officially a representative of the Jewish Distribution Committee to provide relief to Jewish refugees.
Dates: between 1914-1925

Yehoash Bed Dedication, 1908

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0217.0019.00001
Overview Seven men stand around a bed at the dedication of the Yehoash Auxiliary Bed sponsored by the Waterbury, Connecticut Women's Auxiliary. Many of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society's (JCRS) beds were sponsored by charitable contributions, including a number from JCRS women's auxiliaries located around the country. Pictured from left to right are Dr. Herman Schwatt, then the JCRS medical director; Abraham Judelovitz, a Denver builder and JCRS volunteer; Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, longtime...
Dates: 1908

Zundelowitz Room Dedication at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, after 1926

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00036
Overview The Mrs. Rebecca Zundelowitz Room Dedication Ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak stands far left and Dr. Isidor Bronfin stands third from left with six unidentified men. Plaque on the door reads, '' THIS ROOM ENDOWED BY, MRS. REBECCA ZUNDELOWITZ, WICHITA FALLS, TEXAS, 1925.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and...
Dates: after 1926