Belt, Barbara A.
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Tennal recalls his experiences as a Marine assigned to duty in the Pacific region during World War II. He describes his early days in the Marine Corps and becoming a member of the Marine Corps Band. He also details many of the battles and offenses he participated in while fighting the Japanese on islands in the South Pacific, including Guadalcanal, the Solomon Islands and Guam, and the effects of the malaria he contracted while stationed there.
Barker highlights his appointment to and his experiences at the Annapolis Naval Academy. He recalls his first official Navy appointment as staff in the Naval Submarine School, and subsequent duties such as his involvement in submarine operations in the Mediterranean following the Cuban Missile Crisis and as officer-in-charge of the Holy Loch [Scotland] submarine base. Barker presents a survey of life on a submarine and what it was like to be a submariner.
Fallbach recalls his early years in the Coast Guard and learning how to deep sea dive, specifically his experiences attending the Navy's deep sea diving school in Washington, D.C. He highlights his assignments after school, including diving in the search of torpedoes in Chesapeake Bay, working on a ship that refueled aircraft carriers at sea, and his assignment as a member of the crew on the Nantucket Lightship, anchored off the coast of Nantucket Island.
- Subject: Veterans -- United States X
- World War, 1939-1945 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American 4
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States 4
- Military life 3
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Personal narratives, American 2
- Korean War, 1950-1953 -- Veterans -- United States 2
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Pacific Area 2
- Cold War 1
- Cold War -- Naval operations -- Submarine 1
- Cold War -- Personal narratives, American 1
- Cold War -- Veterans -- United States 1
- Diving -- Training 1
- Diving -- Training -- Washington (D.C.) 1
- Douglas County (Colo.) 1
- Korean War, 1950-1953 1
- Landing craft -- History -- World War, 1939-1945 1
- Leyte Gulf, Battle of, Philippines, 1944 1
- Maginot Line (France) 1
- Mediterranean Sea 1
- Siegfried Line (Germany) 1
- Submarines (Ships) -- History 1
- Veterans -- United States 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Amphibious operations 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- France -- 1944-1945 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Germany -- 1944-1945 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Japan -- Okinawa Island 1
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Campaigns -- Philippines 1 ∧ less