Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Kwartin, Paul



  • Existence: March 13, 1915 - October 1978

Paul Kwartin was a Cantor, stage performer, musician and singer. He was born in Budapest, Hungary and then moved to Denver with his family shortly after. He eventually went on to live in New York and Connecticut, and died in his home in Westport, Connecticut, at the age of 63. He was survived by his wife Margaret Agnew Fortson Kwartin, three daughters, Terri Flaherty, Leslie Kwartin, and Robin Weiss, step-daughter Deborah Fortson Guzzetti, stepson Thomas Fortson, four grandchildren, and two step-grandchildren.

Paul Kwartin came from a cantorial family and was the son of Cantor Gregor Kwartin who was the cantor at the BMH for many years. Two uncles, Zavel and Boris, were also renowned in the cantorial field.

Paul had performed in his synagogue as a boy alto, grauated from the University of Denver, and then performed with the Central City Opera in Denver for eight (8) seasons. He also appeared in the summer Denver Post Operas held at Cheesman Park. He was the "Wandering Troubador" on CBS radio and appeared in the Broadway production of "No For An Answer", had the leading role in the world premiere of Gian-Carlo Menotti's opera "The Telephone". He attended the Hebrew Union School of Sacred Music on New York for four years after leaving Denver. He served as cantor in the Union Temple of Brooklyn for 11 years until his death.

He was also a business manager of the Lincoln Center Programs, a member of the board of the American Conference of Cantors, the International Jewish Music Library at Lincoln Center, the Board of Jewish Education, and the American Society of Jewish Music.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Paul Kwartin , October 1978 - November 1, 1978

Identifier: B111.06.0006.0010
Overview Paul Kwartin was a Brooklyn cantor who was born in Hungary and raised in Denver. He sang with the Central City Opera in Denver for eight seasons, appeared in a Broadway production of "No For An Answer", and was also a business manager. He died in his Westport, Connecticut home from cancer at age 63.
Dates: October 1978 - November 1, 1978