Hillkowitz, Elias H.
Rabbi Hillkowitz was born in Kovno, Russia, where he completed his studies to become a rabbi. He served as a rabbi in Kovno before immigrating to the United States and settling in Cincinnati, Ohio. He founded the first Orthodox synagogue there, but moved to Denver in 1890 after developing asthma. He served as Rabbi in the Denver Jewish community and was also an early supporter of the Jewish Consumptives Relief Society (JCRS) sanatorium. Father of Dr. Philip Hillkowitz and Anna Hillkowitz. Also known as: Hillkowitz, Elya.
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
One of 12 exhibit display panels from the exhibit "Blazing the Trail: Denver's Jewish Pioneers." Panel titled "Establishing Jewish Life" and includes Congregation Zera Abraham, Talmud Torah, Shul Baer Milstein, Oheb Zadek Congregation, Tenth Street Shul, and Rabbis Manuel Laderman and Elias Hillkowitz.
Rabbi Hillkowitz emigrated to Cincinnati from Lithuania to be a rabbi and tutor, moving to Denver around 1892. His son, Dr. Philip Hilkowitz, was a noted Denver pathologist, active in various medical societies. He joined Dr. Spivak as a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society and served as its president. His father, Rabbi Hillkowitz, suggested the Talmudic motto of the JCRS.
Rabbi Elias Hillkowitz was considered the dean of Denver's early west-side Orthodox Jewish rabbis. He was an early supporter of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS), where his son, Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, served as president from 1904 to 1948. Rabbi Hillkowitz suggested the JCRS motto from the Talmud: ''He who saves one life saves the world.''
Includes newspaper clippings regarding the Jewish Pioneers and the Denver Jewry, including Sam Cohen, Sam Wachbel, Mrs. Ray David, Mrs. Hentrietta Bergheim, and the JCRS.