Skip to main content

Hillkowitz, Elias H.

 Person

Rabbi Hillkowitz was born in Kovno, Russia, where he completed his studies to become a rabbi. He served as a rabbi in Kovno before immigrating to the United States and settling in Cincinnati, Ohio. He founded the first Orthodox synagogue there, but moved to Denver in 1890 after developing asthma. He served as Rabbi in the Denver Jewish community and was also an early supporter of the Jewish Consumptives Relief Society (JCRS) sanatorium. Father of Dr. Philip Hillkowitz and Anna Hillkowitz. Also known as: Hillkowitz, Elya.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Hillkowitz Family, 1947-2016

 File
Identifier: B111.05.0005.0012
Abstract Rabbi Hillkowitz emigrated to Cincinnati from Lithuania to be a rabbi and tutor, moving to Denver around 1892. His son, Dr. Philip Hilkowitz, was a noted Denver pathologist, active in various medical societies. He joined Dr. Spivak as a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society and served as its president. His father, Rabbi Hillkowitz, suggested the Talmudic motto of the JCRS.
Dates: 1947-2016