Skip to main content

Hillkowitz, Elias H.

 Person

Rabbi Hillkowitz was born in Kovno, Russia, where he completed his studies to become a rabbi. He served as a rabbi in Kovno before immigrating to the United States and settling in Cincinnati, Ohio. He founded the first Orthodox synagogue there, but moved to Denver in 1890 after developing asthma. He served as Rabbi in the Denver Jewish community and was also an early supporter of the Jewish Consumptives Relief Society (JCRS) sanatorium. Father of Dr. Philip Hillkowitz and Anna Hillkowitz. Also known as: Hillkowitz, Elya.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Rabbi Elias Hillkowitz, circa 1910

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0014.00002
Abstract Rabbi Elias Hillkowitz was considered the dean of Denver's early west-side Orthodox Jewish rabbis. He was an early supporter of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS), where his son, Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, served as president from 1904 to 1948. Rabbi Hillkowitz suggested the JCRS motto from the Talmud: ''He who saves one life saves the world.''
Dates: circa 1910