Hillkowitz, Elias H.
Rabbi Hillkowitz was born in Kovno, Russia, where he completed his studies to become a rabbi. He served as a rabbi in Kovno before immigrating to the United States and settling in Cincinnati, Ohio. He founded the first Orthodox synagogue there, but moved to Denver in 1890 after developing asthma. He served as Rabbi in the Denver Jewish community and was also an early supporter of the Jewish Consumptives Relief Society (JCRS) sanatorium. Father of Dr. Philip Hillkowitz and Anna Hillkowitz. Also known as: Hillkowitz, Elya.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
One of 12 exhibit display panels from the exhibit "Blazing the Trail: Denver's Jewish Pioneers." Panel titled "Establishing Jewish Life" and includes Congregation Zera Abraham, Talmud Torah, Shul Baer Milstein, Oheb Zadek Congregation, Tenth Street Shul, and Rabbis Manuel Laderman and Elias Hillkowitz.