Judelovitz, Abrahm (Avram), 1866-1942
- Existence: April 15, 1866 - June 24, 1942
Judelovitz, Avram was born in Mitau, Russia on April 15, 1866. He married Fannie Rose Baer on June 15, 1886 in Schaulen, Lithuania-Russia. Avram and Fannie Judelovitz came to New York in July 1886. They moved to Colorado a year later. Fannie died in 1929. Abraham married Mrs. Mae Kahn in 1931. Avram was a contractor, builder, and in real estate 1918-1927. He co-founded the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society and the Ex-Patients Tubercular Home. He was called as a consultant several times by the Soviet Government for construction work. In 1931 he was called to Russia and was a chief advisor to John Alexandrob, one of the three men in charge of the Soviet five year reconstruction plan. Later, he was consulted by the Bulgarian government. He built and installed iron work in the Broadway Theater in Denver, and supervized the building of many public structures, including the B.M.H. Synagogue, the Home Public Market, the Union Bank Building, and buildings at JCRS, of which he was a founder. He died on June 24, 1942 after a year-long illness. His wife Mae Kahn survived him, as well as nine children: Edward, Samuel, Ben, Robert Judd, Mrs. Sarah Meer, and Mrs. Mollie Tavel, all of Denver; George of North Platte, Nebraska; Phil of Butte, Montana; Simon of San Francisco; 16 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Rabbi Kauvar officiated his services. Abraham is buried in Rose Hill cemetery. An obituary for Abraham Judelovitz can be found in the Intermountain Jewish News paper from June 26, 1942.
Found in 8 Collections and/or Records:
File — Box: B088.01.0018
Abstract Groundbreaking ceremony of the original rotunda hospital on the campus of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Later this building became the National Council of Auxiliaries office building. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is pictured with the trowel and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is pictured to his left. Builder Abraham Judelowitz is standing to the right and wearing overalls. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen...
Abstract The Judd Family papers trace the involvement of the Judd family in the construction industry which began with Abraham Judelowitz who arrived in Denver in the 1880s and was instrumental in the building of the first Beth haMedrosh (BMH) Synagogue. His son, Samuel Judd was born in Denver in 1892 and began as an architect and engineer at the Bureau of Reclamation in 1918. He selected sites and designed many large dams, including Hoover dam. He was the city planner for Boulder City, Nevada and Page,...
Abstract Invitation copy, opening remarks, list of invitees, and newsletter report for dedication of the Judelovitz Family tent.
Dates: 2007 December
Laying Cornerstone of the New York Ladies Auxiliary Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1908
Abstract A group of people attend a ceremony for the laying of a cornerstone at the New York Ladies Auxiliary building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) on April 19, 1908. The building was a round, red brick building that housed the less contagious tuberculosis (TB) patients. Rabbi C. E. Kauvar, in a top hat, stands on one side of the cornerstone and Abraham Judelovitz, in coveralls, stands on the other side of the cornerstone. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz with no hat, stands to Rabbi Kauvar's...
Abstract Typed letter from Dr. Spivak to A. Judelovitz, informing him Anna Rosenberg was invited to the sanatorium. Letter is unsigned but "CDS" is typed at the bottom.
Dates: 1911 October 16
Abstract Letter from Mr. and Mrs. M. Solomon to Mr. Judelovitz, sending the certification letters from two doctos about Anna Rosenberg's pulmonary tuberculosis. Letter is signed by Mr. and Mrs. M. Solomon.
Dates: 1911 August 8
Abstract Seven men stand around a bed at the dedication of the Yehoash Auxiliary Bed sponsored by the Waterbury, Connecticut Women's Auxiliary. Many of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society's (JCRS) beds were sponsored by charitable contributions, including a number from JCRS women's auxiliaries located around the country. Pictured from left to right are Dr. Herman Schwatt, then the JCRS medical director; Abraham Judelovitz, a Denver builder and JCRS volunteer; Dr. Philip Hillkowitz, longtime...