Allied Jewish Federation Project, 1912-1980
Language of Materials
Biographical / Historical
The Allied Jewish Federation of Colorado began as the Central Jewish Council of Denver on August 26, 1912. The council was organized by Rabbi C. E. H. Kauvar, Milton Anfenger, Dr. Charles Spivak, Seraphine Pisko, and others who wished to unite the Jewish community in Denver. Central Jewish Council featured representatives from Jewish religious bodies, hospitals, schools, lodges, and other organizations. The council created the Jewish Aid Society and Denver Jewish News (later to become Intermountain Jewish News) in 1915. In 1949 the Central Jewish Council was succeeded by the Allied Jewish Community Council, which later changed its name to Allied Jewish Federation.