Jewish Community Center, 1922-1980
Language of Materials
10 items (interviews)
Biographical / Historical
The Jewish Community Center (JCC) in Denver, Colorado, originated in 1922 as the Guldman Community Center, which opened in west Denver's Bloomfield Park with land donated by the Rude family and equipment donated by the Guldman family. The center served to bring cultural and educational opportunities to all segments of the Jewish community: It provided activities such as English classes for immigrants and literary and musical programs. The center moved to a large mansion at 1601 Irving Street in 1937, which acted as the west branch of the JCC until it was sold in 1967 to the Boy's Club. The JCC, which was officially incorporated in 1947, added the old B'nai B'rith Building at Colfax and Williams streets as its east branch in 1950. Both buildings were replaced by the current structure at 4800 E. Alameda, which is now called the Robert Loup Jewish Community Center.