National Council of Jewish Women, 1893-1978
Language of Materials
From the Collection: 22.5 Linear Feet (34 containers)
Biographical / Historical
The National Council of Jewish Women was founded in 1893 by Hannah G. Solomon at the Parliament of Religions of the Chicago World's Fair. Among the other women at the World's Fair was Carrie Benjamin, who returned home to Denver, Colorado, and organized the Council's Denver Section in October, 1893. Most of the early members were from Temple Emanuel in Denver. Education was an early priority of the Denver Section, and classes were held to serve the needs of Eastern European Jewish immigrants in the West Colfax area. The Denver Section established a Settlement House in West Denver for Jewish boys, worked with disabled children, and began the Children's Traveling Theatre. The Denver Section legislative committee actively supported progressive legislation. During World War II, the Denver Section was very involved in the resettlement of Jewish refugees in the Denver area. In 1938 the Denver Section opened a Thrift Shop at Twenty-Seventh St. and Welton St. in Five Points.