Skip to main content

Rose Medical Center, 1940-1978

 Series
Identifier: B098.14

Dates

  • 1940-1978

Language of Materials

From the Collection: Items are predominantly in English, but recordings feature some Yiddish and Hebrew.

Biographical / Historical

Rose Medical Center was the result of an effort in the late 1940s by a group of Jewish business and professional leaders, directed by Maurice Shwayder, to build a new hospital that would solve Denver's hospital bed shortage and provide a new location for World War II physician veterans to practice. The new hospital was named to honor Major General Maurice Rose. The cornerstone for the hospital's main building was laid by General Dwight D. Eisenhower on August 31, 1948. Rose Community Foundation was formed in 1995 from the sale of Rose Medical Center.

Extent

5 items

Scope and Contents

From the Collection: RMJHS Oral Histories comprises audio and video cassettes of oral history interviews recorded by the Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society. The recordings document Jewish history and culture in Colorado in the 19th and 20th century. The men and women interviewed for this collection are descendants of early Jewish pioneers in Colorado or were Jewish newcomers to the region at the beginning of the 20th century. Most of the interviewees were born between 1886 and 1927 and died in the 20th century. Many of them were founders and/or leaders of Jewish organizations, religious groups, medical and social centers, schools, and businesses in Colorado.

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428