Oral history interview with Florence Beeman Campbell, Louise Beeman Hier, 2001
In this 2 part interview, Florence and Louise reminisce about growing up in Sedalia, living with their grandparents, deaths of Beeman family members, and their hard-working mother who continued to care for the family after her husband died at an early age. They recall community events popular in Sedalia, e.g. Thanksgiving Ball, and the 4th of July celebration, as well as many of the families and residences in Sedalia. They describe meeting their husbands, various work experiences (Remington Arms Company during World War II), and remembrances of the flood of 1965.
Language of Materials
From the Collection: Materials in English, Spanish, and other languages.
Conditions Governing Access
To see copyright information about this material, visit our website at http://douglascountyhistory.org/copyright.htm.
From the Collection: 0 Linear Feet
Biographical / Historical
Florence and Louise Beeman were two of seven children born to Lou Beeman and Harriet Davis Beeman on a farm in southwestern Douglas County, Colo.. As small children they moved with their family to Sedalia. Their father died shortly thereafter and they were raised by their mother who was active in various community organizations, including the fire department and the grange. Both sisters married into families who were prominent in the Sedalia area, and they continued to live in the community and raised their families there.
- Beeman family
- Campbell, Florence Beeman, 1917- (Interviewee)
- Douglas County (Colo.)
- Douglas County (Colo.) -- History
- Floods -- Douglas County (Colo.) -- History
- Hier, Louise Beeman, 1919- (Interviewee)
- Machann, Barbara Belfield (Interviewer)
- Natural disasters -- Douglas County (Colo.) -- History
- Oral histories
- Ranch life -- Douglas County (Colo.) -- History
- Sedalia (Colo.)
- Sedalia (Colo.) -- History
- Young, Mary Douglas (Interviewer)
- Douglas County Libraries (Colo.) (Organization)
- Sedalia Historic Fire House Museum Oral History Project (Organization)