Oral history interview with Thomas Fallbach, 2002 November 27
Fallbach describes his experiences while living in Sedalia, Colo., including losing his home in a fire, and various experiences of being a member of the West Douglas Fire Dept. for 20 years. He also reminisces about growing up in suburban Chicago, and his early exposure to dog training while in high school. He recalls his training and experiences in diving while in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II, including his firefighting training while assigned to the USS Klickitat refueling aircraft carriers. He recounts his various jobs in Chicago after being discharged, including working at a small airport that became O'Hare Field, owning his own company, and his subsequent move to the Denver area.
- 2002 November 27
Conditions Governing Access
To see copyright information about this material, visit our website at http://douglascountyhistory.org/copyright.htm.
Biographical / Historical
A World War II-era veteran, Thomas Fallbach was born in Chicago, Ill., and joined the U.S. Coast Guard in 1944. Upon his discharge in 1946, he moved back to the Chicago area where he pursued several different jobs, including starting his own company. He also became involved in teaching scuba diving for the YMCA, advancing to a scuba commissioner for the YMCAs of Northern Illinois. He moved to the Denver area around 1970, and served 20 years as a volunteer fireman for the West Douglas County Fire Department near his home in Sedalia, Colo.
From the Collection: 0 Linear Feet
- City and town life -- Sedalia (Colo.) -- History
- Fallbach, Thomas R., 1927- (Interviewee)
- Machann, Barbara Belfield (Interviewer)
- Military life
- Oral histories
- Sedalia (Colo.)
- United States. Coast Guard
- Veterans -- Douglas County (Colo.) -- Interviews
- Veterans -- United States -- Interviews
- West Douglas County Fire Protection District
- World War, 1939-1945
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Personal narratives, American
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans -- United States
- Douglas County Libraries (Colo.) (Organization)
- Sedalia Historic Fire House Museum Oral History Project (Organization)