Citizens of the State: Colorado's Early Jewish Politicians, 1859-1940, 2007
This film examines the pivotal role early Colorado Jewish citizens played in the state's political life. Despite their distinction as a religious minority, pioneer Jews in communities throughout Colorado were viewed as a positive and stablitizing influence who upheld morality and order in the new settlements. Virtually every town in Colorado had a Jewish mayor by the turn of the nineteenth century, including Denver, Central City, and Fairplay. Includes brief biographies of Jewish men and women who were elected to public office around the state, including state representatives, state senators, a U.S. Senator, Meyer Guggenheim, who served as senator from 1907 to 1913, and city council members, including Denver's first Jewish female council member, Joyce Foster.
Rights and Usage Statement
c2007, Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society.
1 Items (videodisc)
Scope and Contents
From the File: Contains DVDs created by Dr. Jeanne Abrams: A Grocery Store on Every Corner: Early Colorado Jewish Grocers; And Justice You Shall Pursue: Early Colorado Jewish Lawyers; A Legacy of Caring: Early Colorado Jewish Women 1860-1930 (2 copies); From Peddlers to Merchant Princes: Early Colorado Jewish Entrepreneurs; Blazing the Trail: An Early History of Denver's Jewish Community; Growing Up in Early Denver: The Lives of Jewish Children 1860-1940; At Home on the Range: Colorado Jewish Cowboys, Cattlemen and Poultry Growers (2). Also, PBS Colorado Experience: Jewish Pioneers.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
DVD 28 minutes, 51 seconds color with black & white sequences
Title from title screen. ||Program made possible through the generous support of The Mizel Family Foundation, The Milt and Jean Morris Endowment Fund, The Charles & Faye Schayer Endowment Fund.
Inscription and Marks
4 3/4 inches
- Abrams, Jeanne E., 1951- (Contributor)
- Anfenger, Louis, 1842-1900 (Contributor)
- Anfenger, Milton L. (Milton Louis), 1874-1952 (Contributor)
- Central City (Colo.)
- Denver (Colo.)
- Fairplay (Colo.)
- Foster, Joyce C. (Joyce Cohn), 1944-
- Guggenheim, Meyer
- Guggenheim, Simon (Contributor)
- Hirschfeld, A. B. (Abraham Bernard), 1888-1957 (Contributor)
- Hornbein, Philip, Jr., 1915-1987 (Contributor)
- Jewish politicians
- Londoner, Julius (Contributor)
- Londoner, Wolfe (Contributor)
- Mears, Otto, 1840-1931 (Contributor)
- Pettit, Steven (Contributor)
- Pisko, Edward (Contributor)
- Starwest Productions (Contributor)
- University of Denver. Institute for Islamic-Judaic Studies (Contributor)