From Peddlers to Merchant Princes: Early Colorado Jewish Entrepreneurs, 2006
Jews played a central role in the development of Colorado through their contributions to economic life and development. Denver's first mercantile store was opened by Jewish citizen Fred Salomon in 1859. Before long, stores run by Jewish merchants and their family members in search of work and wealth flourished on the main streets of most Colorado towns including, Denver, Central City, Leadville, Trinidad, and Fairplay. This film focuses on the lives of a number of early merchants, including some who founded national and regional empires: the Shwayder Brothers, who opened what become the world renowned Samsonite Luggage Company, David May, founder of the May Company department stores, Leopold Guldman, proprietor of the Leadville and later Denver's Golden Eagle Store, the city's first popular priced department store, and A.B. Hirschfeld who started the Hirschfeld Press in 1907.
Rights and Usage Statement
c2006, Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society.
1 Items (videodisc)
Scope and Contents
From the File: Contains DVDs created by Dr. Jeanne Abrams: A Grocery Store on Every Corner: Early Colorado Jewish Grocers; And Justice You Shall Pursue: Early Colorado Jewish Lawyers; A Legacy of Caring: Early Colorado Jewish Women 1860-1930 (2 copies); From Peddlers to Merchant Princes: Early Colorado Jewish Entrepreneurs; Blazing the Trail: An Early History of Denver's Jewish Community; Growing Up in Early Denver: The Lives of Jewish Children 1860-1940; At Home on the Range: Colorado Jewish Cowboys, Cattlemen and Poultry Growers (2). Also, PBS Colorado Experience: Jewish Pioneers.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
DVD 36 minutes, 35 seconds color with black & white sequences
Title from title screen. ||Program made possible through the generous support of The Raphael Levy Memorial Foundation, The Mizel Family Foundation, Milt Morris, and The Charles & Faye Schayer Endowment Fund.
Inscription and Marks
4 3/4 inches
- A.B. Hirschfeld Press (Contributor)
- Abrams, Jeanne E., 1951- (Contributor)
- Central City (Colo.)
- Denver (Colo.)
- Fairplay (Colo.)
- Golden Eagle Dry Goods Company (Denver, Colo.) (Contributor)
- Hirschfeld, A. B. (Abraham Bernard), 1888-1957 (Contributor)
- Leadville (Colo.)
- May Department Stores Company (Contributor)
- May, David, 1848-1927 (Contributor)
- Pettit, Steven (Contributor)
- Robinson, Louis, 1852-1923 (Contractor)
- Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society (Contributor)
- Salomon, Fred Zadek, 1830-1888 (Contributor)
- Samsonite Corporation (1910-1973) (Contributor)
- Schwayder Family (Contributor)
- Starwest Productions (Contributor)
- Stores, Retail
- Trinidad (Colo.)
- University of Denver. Institute for Islamic-Judaic Studies (Contributor)