Skip to main content

Department of Anthropology Records

 Collection
Identifier: U003

Abstract

The Anthropology Department was established in 1917, with Etienne Renaud as its first department head. Anthropology is a department in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. This collection contains administrative records of the department, including memos, syllabi, correspondence, program development, and reports.

Dates

  • Other: 1930-2009

Creator

Biographical / Historical

The first Archaeology and Ethnology instructor at the University of Denver was Arthur J. Fynn, who taught Saturday classes in the early 1900s. In 1909, the Geology Department began to offer Paleontology courses, and in April 1917, the Department of Archaeology and Ethnology was established. Etienne B. Renaud became the first head of the department and remained as such until 1948.

1921 saw the beginnings of the separation of Archaeology and Ethnology as more classes began to be offered and the differences in studies became more apparent. In 1925, the department went through a name change and became the Department of Anthropology. In 1928, the University of Denver began to offer a graduate degree in Anthropology. In the 1930s, the department began to recognize three separate fields within the department: physical and racial anthropology, archaeology, and ethnology.

When Renaud stepped down in 1948, Mr. Withers became the acting chairman, and then took over as chairman in 1951. In 1949, a methods and materials in museum work course was developed which lead to a museum studies focus within the department. In 1959, Mr. Withers went on an extended dig for a year and a half, and Kate Kent took the role as acting chairman in his absence. In the 1975-1976 school year, an archeological field school was established near Blanding, Utah as a joint project with Colorado Academy.

The Anthropology Department is part of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences at the University of Denver. The Department of Anthropology has been part of this College under its multiple names since its creation in 1917.

Extent

3.25 Linear Feet (7 containers)